This course meets or exceeds the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1072 Hazardous Materials / WMD Emergency Response Personnel Professional Qualifications Chapter 5, “Operations” and Chapter 6.2, “Personal Protective Equipment,” and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 (q)(6)(ii) for Operations-level personnel.
Participants pursuing certification must provide proof of NFPA 1072 Awareness or NFPA 472 Competencies for Awareness Level Personnel (2002, 2008, or 2013 editions).
- Introduction to Hazardous Materials
- Analyzing the Incident: Recognizing and Identifying the Presence of Hazardous Materials
- Implementing the Response: Awareness Level Actions at Hazmat Incidents
- Analyzing the Incident: Identifying Potential Hazards
- Analyzing the Incident: Predicting Behavior and Identifying Containers
- Planning the Response: Identifying Action Options
- Implementing and Evaluating the Action Plan: Incident Management and Response Objectives and Action Options
- Implementing the Response: Terrorist Attacks, Criminal Activities, and Disasters
- Implementing the Response: Personal Protective Equipment
- Implementing the Response: Decontamination
- Implementing the Response: Mission-Specific Detection, Monitoring, and Sampling
- Implementing the Response: Mission-Specific Victim Rescue and Recovery
- Implementing the Response: Mission-Specific Product Control
- Implementing the Response: Mission-Specific Evidence Preservation and Public Safety Sampling
- Implementing the Response: Mission-Specific Illicit Laboratories
Personnel who respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials/weapons of mass destruction for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, the environment, or property from the effects of the release.
Emergency Training Division approved courses are broken down into three distinct sections*:
Part 1 – Preparatory Online Training
Part 2 – Formal 30-Day Online Training
Part 3 – Final Written Test
PART 1 – PREPARATORY Online Training: This section is designed to prepare you for the Formal 30-Day Online Training (Part 2). You will be required to read and study various topics/chapters and take practice quizzes over that material. Students must pass the Syllabus Tests in order to continue to Part 2. You will also begin the process of reviewing any skill work that may be required of you during Part 3: Final Written Test.
PART 2 – FORMAL 30-DAY ONLINE TRAINING: Once you’ve completed Part 1: Preparatory section (Free online Training) and are ready for the next step, you will need to access Part 2: Formal 30-Day Online Training, This portion of the course must be completed within 30 days.
Part 2 Completion can be achieved by the participant once 100% course completion is achieved at the end of the course.
In addition, each participant must complete the training on an individual basis. If you ask someone else to go through the program for you, you will not learn the information that will be necessary to protect your health and safety. This will render your certificate null and void.
PART 3 – FINAL WRITTEN TESTING: In order to become fully certified, you will also need to achieve 70% during the Final Written Test.
The final portion of our Fire Courses requires you to complete the online written test. Written Test must be scheduled within the 2-3 months following completion of the Formal 30-Day Online Training (Part 2). Scheduling is done by emailing Student Services, [email protected]
Ability to read, write and orally communicate in English.
The course attendance is recommended to personnel who are expected to recognize and handle Hazardous Material in their workplace to be aware of the dangers involved and how to react, applying defensive actions in case of an incident.
NFPA -1072 Hazardous Material Awareness certification.
What is included in the course cost:
E-book – IFSTA, Hazardous Material For First Responders 5th Edition.
Powerpoint Presentation – IFSTA, Hazardous Material For First Responders 5th Edition.
Practice exams and quizzes.
NFPA -1072 Hazardous Material Operations certification exam (the exam is conducted online).
Emergency Training Division course completion certificate of NFPA -1072 for students successfully passing the skills and written exams (this is provided by e-mail upon validation of exam results by Emergency Training Division Examiner).
If you have any questions about this course, please contact [email protected]
- Lectures 40
- Quizzes 15
- Duration 40 hours
- Skill level Intermediate
- Language English
- Students 26
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes