HAZARDOUS MATERIAL AWARENESS (NFPA 1072)
08– hour Course Information:
This course meets or exceeds the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1072 Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Emergency
Response Personnel Professional Qualifications.
This course is based on NFPA 1072 and will provide first responders with the basic knowledge and skills to: understand what hazardous substances are and the risk associated with them in an incident; recognize the presence of hazardous substances in an emergency; understand the role of the emergency responder at the Awareness level, including site security and control; have an understanding of the U.S. Department of Transportation Emergency Response Guidebook; realize the need for additional resources, call for appropriate assistance, and to make appropriate notifications to the community.
Upon the successful completion of this course, students should be able to perform the following duties of an Awareness Level Trained Emergency Responder :
- Analyze incidents to detect the presence of hazardous materials/weapons of mass destruction (WMD);
- Identify and collect basic hazard and response information from relevant sources;
- Implement protective actions and notification processes consistent with the governing authority and sources.
- Ability to read, write and orally communicate in English (course taught in English; Certification exam is in English)
- The course attendance is recommended to personnel who are expected to recognize and handle Hazardous Material in their workplace to be aware of the dangers involved and how to react, applying defensive actions in case of an incident.
What is included in the course cost:
- A copy of the course student manual
- Practice exams and quizzes
- FESMI certificate of completion (this is provided on last day of class)
- Pro Board certification exam (the exam is conducted at the end of class)
- Pro Board certification for students successfully passing the skills and written exams (this is provided by e-mail upon validation of exam results by Pro Board.)
Students must bring to class:
- Photo ID for registration and testing purposes