Emergency Training Division has developed this online Hazardous Materials (Hazmat) Awareness training program for personnel working for federal, state, and local government agencies. By completing this course, you will meet OSHA training requirements for Awareness Level employees. This may include police officers, firefighters, public works employees, transportation workers, emergency medical personnel, and others who may be the first on the scene of a hazardous materials emergency. It also includes hospital employees who may be responsible for treating contaminated patients, particularly during mass casualty events.
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and state OSHA programs, a responder at the Awareness Level must have:
- An understanding of hazardous substances and the risks associated with them in an emergency
- An understanding of the potential outcomes associated with an emergency created when hazardous substances are present
- The ability to recognize the presence of hazardous substances in an emergency
- An understanding of the role of the first responder at the Awareness Level, including site security and control and use of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Emergency Response Guidebook
- The ability to realize the need for additional resources and to provide good information to the communication center
Certificates of completion may be printed by the participant once a score of 80% or greater is achieved in the Final Exam. The participant may take the quiz as many times as necessary in order to reach the 80% score.
In addition, each participant must complete the training on an individual basis. If you ask someone else to go through the program for you, you will not learn the information you will need to ensure the health and safety of Emergency Response Team members. This will render your certificate null and void.
For more information, please contact [email protected]
- Lectures 52
- Quizzes 6
- Duration 06 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 4
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes